Sunday 24 October 2010

Song of the Moment: Mistakes We Knew We Were Making


Pretty much anyone who knows me knows that I was an obsessed fan of Brand New when Deja Entendu, their second album, came out. All sorts of headlines on the lines of 'emo grows up,' and I bought the CD on a pure whim, and fell in love with it instantly.

But the best thing about obsession is that it leads to hyperlinks; you discover all sorts of new stuff because your obsession loves them, or is linked to them in some way. From the former, I have inherited a great love of Raymond Carver and The Smiths, and from the latter?  Straylight Run.

I could go into the endless gossip of who slept with who's sister or girlfriend or wife or mother in Taking Back Sunday, but that would diminish the most important fact: Taking Back Sunday sucked in comparison, Brand New were awesome, and Straylight Run had a couple of FANTASTIC songs.

Oddly enough, Straylight Run's best songs were the ones on their tentative floater EP before they released their first full length. But there is one song, one that comes to mind everytime I think of anything I regret or might regret in the future.

I got into emo (we can define what I consider emo another time) like Dashboard Confessional and Jimmy Eat World because I was an angsty teenager, not because I particular related to their visions of obsessed loss. But Straylight Run has this one song, the song that actually pops into my head from time to time because it's so bloody relevant. This happens with Brand New as well, but it seems to happen more when I'm generally feeling a bit lost, rather than during specific moments.

So here we go, Mistakes We Knew We Were Making.

"So we bottled and shelved all our regrets,
Let them ferment, then came back to our senses.
Drove back home, slept a few days,
Woke up and laughed at how stupid we used to be."

Ah, the words to get through moments of poor decision-making. I've had more than a few in the recent past. I bet you have too.

The MP3:
Straylight Run - Mistakes We Knew We Were Making

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites